Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dinner for Two



A few weeks ago now my lovely Hubby suggested getting the kids to bed early and having a nice Venison dish with the meat still in the freezer from New Year.  So as the Venison defrosted I set about trying to find the prefect dish for our late evening meal the following day.  After much trawling through the internet and the mass of cook books scattered around the house, I settled on a Blackberry Sauce recipe.  After all I still had a good stash in the freezer and what a nice change to use them in a savoury dish instead of Crumbles and Blackberry Vodka, which is where they normally end up.  I served the Pan-Fried Venison and Blackberry Sauce with neeps and tatties and baby carrots.  Well it was to die for, especially with a nice big glass of Red to help it down.  The following evening, however, all cosy on the sofa for my weekly dose of Masterchef, the dish I devoured the previous evening was being lovely made by the contestants to feed the hungry Scots!  I made the dish again last week with Broccoli and Celeriac and Potato Mash, so that I could post a picture to wet your appetite and hopefully get you in the kitchen to try it out.  I have only written out the recipe for the Venison and Blackberry Sauce as you can serve with whatever veg tickles your fancy on the day xx

Pan-Fried Venison with Blackberry Sauce

  • 1 tbsp Olive Oil

  • 2 Thick Venison Steaks

  • 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar

  • 150 ml Beefstock (I used 2 tsp of Beef Stock Concentrate)

  • 2 tbsp Redcurrant Jelly

  • 1 Clove of Garlic, crushed

  • 85 g Blackberries (Fresh or frozen)


While the pan is heating up, oil and season the Venison Steaks.  Pan-fry for 5 minutes on one side then turn and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.  Set the steaks to one side to rest while you prepare the Sauce.  To the pan that you fried the steaks in, add the Balsamic Vinegar, then the stock, Redcurrant Jelly and Garlic.  Stir over a quite high heat to blend everything together, then add the Blackberries and cook until softened.  Serve with the veg of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment